Before You Apply
How to Get Started
Each applicant must complete the following before scheduling an appointment through this service:
- Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, and print out the DS-160 confirmation (barcode) number for each applicant. The application can be completed at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv.
- Certain visa types may require additional forms to be completed:
- Please note this visa information service does not answer questions relating to the DS-160 application. Please visit travel.state.gov
- DS-160 INSTRUCTIONS:
- Any errors on the DS-160 will require correction or the need to submit a new form.
- The DS-160 must be completed in English.
- Applicants who do not complete the DS-160 in English will be required to either edit their DS-160 or submit a new DS-160
- Applicants who incorrectly choose the gender on their form will also be required to either edit the DS-160 or submit a new one.
- Applicants who do not generate an actual barcode, in addition to the barcode number, and who do not click on the final "submit" button have not correctly completed the DS-160.
- Pay the visa application (MRV) fee for each applicant. Click Fee Payment Options to view more details about the MRV fees and payment procedures.
- To schedule an appointment each applicant must have ready:
- DS-160 confirmation (barcode) number
- MRV fee payment receipt number (See Step 2 above)
- The applicant’s passport number
- Additional information may be required based on the type of visa for which the applicant is applying. For example, a:
- SEVIS number from the Form I-20 for Students or Form DS-2019 for Exchange Visitors
- Petition Number from the Form I-797 for Temporary Work Visas
- Case Number for Immigrant Visa applicants
Additional information concerning U.S. visas can be found at http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html.