Personal Appearance Waiver
All applicants are required to appear personally at the Consular Section to apply for a U.S. Visa.
However, certain applicants may be exempt from that requirement based on their age.
Applicants that do not need to appear in person must meet the following criteria:
- Children under the age of 7 are not required to appear in person for the visa interview.
- A parent may apply in place of the child, but the parent must have a scheduled appointment in the child's name and must bring an original Birth Certificate issued in the last three months and a marriage certificate (if applicable).
- If the child is applying with a legal guardian, the child must appear in person accompanied by the legal guardian with the court documents proving legal custody.
- Visa Application Procedure for children:
- If the child is
Parent(s) attend the scheduled appointment to submit visa application documents.
- The only family member applying for a visa, schedule an appointment in the child's name through this service.
- A parent must present the child's application at the time of the scheduled interview.
- Applying with at least one parent, schedule the parent and child through this service. The parent(s) must bring the child's application documents with them to the scheduled interview.
At the interview the Consular Officer will review the documents and determine the status of the application.
- Documents should include:
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160) Form
- General application documents for the visa type
- Child's original birth certificate issued in the last three months
- If applicable a marriage certificate
- If one parent is applying, must bring copies of missing parent's identification (DNI, or a passport with a visa)
Note: A Consular Officer can request to see the other parent and/or the child in person.
Approved visas will be couriered back to the applicant based on the courier location selection made during the process of scheduling an interview.
Adults 80 years old and older, applying for a visa are not required to appear in person for the visa interview.
Visa Application Procedure for adults 80 years old and older:
- Register an account through this Web site and select “Visitor Visa – Courier Application Process”, for adults 80 years old and older.
- Follow the instructions on the courier information page to submit visa application documents.
Note: A Consular Officer can request to see an applicant in person if it is determined that an interview is required.
- Approved visas will be sent through the DHL mailing service. After registering an account on this web site, applicants should select a conveniently located DHL office where they wish to pick up their passports.